The site was first used as a cricket ground in 1857. In 1884, Old Trafford became the second English ground, after The Oval, to stage test cricket. The ground was purchased outright from the de Traffords in 1898, for £24,372, as crowds increased: over 50,000 spectators attended the 1899 test match.
Old Trafford Cricket Ground, usually referred to as Old Trafford, is a cricket ground situated on Talbot Road in Old Trafford, Greater Manchester. It has been the home of Lancashire County Cricket Club since its foundation in 1864, having been the ground of Manchester Cricket Club from 1857. International Test matches have been played there since 1884.